I wouldn’t give him any prize for this depressing book. It was certainly skillful, and the language impressive. Good vocabulary exercise, for example…
- declivities of my shoulders
- concave integument below his breast-bone
- an interior succubus
- a clear ichor glinted
- pharaonic nostrils [I can guess this one]
- mephitic whiff of gas
- of that faltering anabasis I recall
- in another prelapsarian life
One sentence I did like – “If there is a long version of shrift then that is what I am in need of.”
The book has been described as Beckettian, which is fair warning. Toward the end, I was reading very fast just to get through it and didn’t savour it at all. Feel free to read another review or two to get a more positive opinion of the book.
It gave me an excuse to take this photo of my thumb.